The Australian and New Zealand Dollars have boasted strong recovery efforts in 2017 versus the US Dollar, primarily a reaction to corrective weakness by the US currency.
For AUDUSD, this has seen a push above the December peak at .7525, which is neutralised intermediate-term bearish pressures, shifting to a broader range environment, but with a bullish tone into late January.
Although NZDUSD has yet to overcome the equivalent of December peak at .7239, intermediate-term bearish pressures have been significantly eased, with the risk up through .7239 for a switch to a broader range environment. Furthermore, the NZDUSD bias also remains to the upside into the end of this month.
Read more technical market analysis
Another new recovery high Friday above resistance at .7581, and despite a dip, support at .7489 is untouched, leaving the risk to the upside Monday.
Furthermore, the mid-January push above .7525, shifted the intermediate-term outlook from bearish to neutral.
Growing risk into February is for a push above .7778, which would see an intermediate-term Bullish shift.
- We see an upside bias for .7588; break here aims .7630.
- But below .7489 opens risk down to .7461, maybe .7425.
Short/ Intermediate-term Range Parameters: We see the range defined by .7155 and .7778.
Range Breakout Challenge
- Upside: Above .7778 aims higher for .7835/49/78 and .80000.
- Downside: Below .7155 sees risk lower for .7141, .7106, .6971 and maybe .6825.
Daily AUDUSD Chart
A spike higher to a new rebound high Friday (.7225) and despite a setback, initial support at .7113 is intact, maintaining bullish pressures from the strong Tuesday rally from a platform in .7072/67 area, keeping upside pressures into Monday.
Furthermore, the still growing threat is for a push-up through .7239, which would shift the intermediate term outlook from bearish to neutral.
- We see an upside bias for .7225; break here aims for critical .7239, maybe up to .7307.
- But below .7113 opens risk down to .7092, maybe .7072/67.
Short/ Intermediate-term Outlook – Downside Risks:
- Whilst below .7239, we see a negative tone with the bearish threat to .6800.
- Below here targets .6676/64, .6572/41 and maybe as deep as .6343.
What Changes This? Above .7239 signals a neutral tone, only shifting positive above .7403.
Daily NZDUSD Chart