- Regulated by FCA
- Well Established Broker
- Low Min. Deposit
- No MetaTrader 5 support
CMC Markets Review
CMC Markets is one of the oldest and best-regulated providers of online CFD trading and spread betting services. The founder of the brokerage is Peter Andrew Cruddas, who set up the operation back in 1989.
Cruddas is a well-known philanthropist, political personality, and one of the richest people in London. He has a more than 60 percent share in CMC Markets.
The company maintains corporate branches and physical offices in Germany and the UK. The German branch of the operation is CMC Markets Germany GmbH. The company has secured a license with the German regulator BaFin. Its license number is 154814.
The entity representing the UK side of the operation is CMC Markets UK Plc and CMC Spread Bet Plc. The FCA registration numbers of the two entities are 173730 and 170627, respectively. Being licensed in both Germany and the UK makes the operation MiFID-compliant and thus able to legally peddle its services in several other countries.
The billing address of the brokerage is CMC Markets, 133 Houndsditch
Billing City/ State/Postal Code:, London EC3A 7BX.
The broker has a regulated branch operating under the supervision of ASIC, out of Australia.
There are several CMC markets regional offices in countries like Austria, Sweden, Poland, Spain, Canada, etc.
What do traders appreciate about CMC Markets?
- Many traders like the CMC Markets trading platform. It is easy to use and offers a good selection of tradable assets.
- The broker processes trader deposits quickly, and the registration process is smooth as well.
- Fast execution is another feature of the CMC Markets trading platform that users appreciate.
- Some users have pointed out that the broker processes withdrawals just as quickly as deposits. According to the broker, most trader withdrawals are processed on the same day.
- The CMC Markets support has earned some accolades from various feedback-providers.
- The Demo account is yet another feature many beginners have found useful.
Why would you want to join CMC Markets? What makes the broker attractive for traders?
- The top priority of the broker is the client. According to the official CMC Markets website, the core purpose of the broker is to provide “the ultimate trading experience.”
- As per the FCA’s Client Money rules, CMC Markets segregates client money from their own funds. The funds held in segregated bank accounts do not belong to CMC Markets and are held in a way that enables it to be identified as client money.
- CMC Markets is a member of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. What this means is that should the broker ever go bankrupt, retail clients would have their share of segregated money returned, minus the administrator’s costs in handling and distributing these funds. Any shortfall of funds up to £85,000 may be compensated under the FSCS.
- The broker supports multiple order types, allowing its clients to enter and exit trades in the blink of an eye. It also allows traders to control possible slippage through the use of advanced order management options.
CMC Markets Platform and Tools
|Desktop Platform (Windows)|
|Desktop Platform (Mac)|
|Social Trading / Copy Trading|
|MetaTrader 4 (MT4)|
|MetaTrader 5 (MT5)|
|Charting - Drawing Tools(Total)|
|Charting - Indicators / Studies (Total)|
|Order Type - Trailing Stop|
CMC Markets features an attractive-looking and powerful web-based platform. Those who wish can also download the desktop version of MT4 from the broker’s website free of charge.
The WebTrader features an attractive-looking, colorful interface, chockfull of options, functionalities, charting tools, and tradable asset selection filters.
The charting and technical analysis features of the platform are outstanding. CMC Markets’ web-based platform has bagged several awards for its advanced charting component. In addition to scores of objects, drawing tools, and technical indicators, the platform also offers a generous selection of preset templates that allow traders to trigger complex technical analysis setups at a single click.
Traders can access more than 115 technical indicators, 12 chart types, and 70 chart patterns.
CMC Markets’ web-based platform allows users to create new layouts, fully customizing the trading interface they use.
The platform used for CFD and Forex trading is the same one the broker uses for spread betting. Its selection of special tools covers a graphical trader sentiment indicator, as well as a pattern recognition scanner to help beginners locate technical analysis-based trading opportunities.
All-in-all, the web platform is a great alternative to the downloadable MT4 version the broker also supports. Those who want to take their technical and fundamental analysis to the next level may wish to opt for the classic MT4 platform.
CMC Markets’ version of MT4 delivers superb charting, a fully customizable trading environment, as well as outstanding execution speeds and direct trading off the chart.
It also supports auto trading through Expert Advisors, although CMC Markets’ traders may not be able to use this functionality.
Both trading platforms support Demo accounts that traders can use to put the broker’s trading conditions to the test before wading into the real-money action.
Commissions and Fees
As mentioned at the beginning of this review, some traders have complained that CMC Markets charges too many commissions.
The broker charges an average spread of 0.7. In addition to that, it also charges some commissions and fees, such as:
- Commission for trading shares on a CFD account
- Various holding fees on products, including inactivity fees.
Research and Education
|Daily Market Commentary|
|Trading Central (Recognia)|
|Social Sentiment - Currency Pairs|
|Client Webinars (Archived)|
|Videos - Beginner Trading Videos|
|Calendar Includes Forexcasts|
|Economic News Sentiment|
|Trade Ideas - Backtesting|
To help traders find satisfaction and profits in trading, the broker offers a huge range of research and education tools.
Daily market commentary and Reuters news within the platform to help with the fundamental aspect of analysis.
Client webinars and beginner trading videos. The latter aim to ease traders into the flow of Forex/CFD trading, explaining to them the basics and touching on some more advanced concepts. Such webinars cover technical indicators and platform guides.
An economic calendar with forecasts is a great tool for those looking to cash in on the market swings some real-world events/developments elicit.
The broker has a team of in-house analysts who share their expertise with traders in the form of articles.
The quickest and simplest way to contact the CMC Markets support staff is through the phone number featured on the homepage of the official site: +44 (0)20 7170 8200.
Email addresses one can also use for contact are firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and some other regional phone numbers and email addresses.
The broker offers support through its offices in Sweden, Austria, Singapore, Poland, Spain, Norway, New Zealand, Germany, Australia, and Canada, China, South Africa.
|Charting - Draw Trend Lines|
|Charting - Can Turn Horizontally|
|Charting - Technical Studies/Indicators|
|Watchlist - Syncing|
|Trading - Forex|
|Trading - CFDs|
|Alerts - Basic Fields|
CMC Markets’ proprietary web-based platform is available in mobile app versions for Android and iOS devices. These apps deliver mobile-optimised charting and over 40 technical indicators and drawing tools.
CMC Markets is a well-established Forex and CFD brokerage with a solid history. Its reputation is a mixed bag, however.
Its proprietary trading platform is perhaps its greatest selling point. Most users like it. Its charting features are superb indeed.
The trading conditions the broker offers are decent.
Disclaimer: CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 65% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.