- Regulated by FCA and CySEC
- Low Spreads
- Low Commissions
- Low swaps
- No MetaTrader 5 support
Founded in 2014, Tickmill is a fairly standard regulated online trading destination. The broker has been around for a while and that means it has accrued relevant trader feedback. It is an NDD broker, meaning that it does not use a dealing desk.
The broker boasts more than a quarter-million registered trading accounts. Let us see what its users like most about it, based on their direct feedback.
- The speed of deposit, execution, and functionality are features most users appreciate.
- The broker does not charge any fees on deposits and withdrawals.
- Tickmill’s MT4 platform supports EAs, even the “hyperactive” ones other brokers may not tolerate.
- Leverage of 1:30 for retail traders. Some traders do not appreciate such low leverage, but it is very beginner-friendly.
- Some traders love the trading conditions.
- The platform is stable and reliable.
Not all user feedback is positive, however. Some traders do not like certain aspects of the operation, while others squarely call the broker a scam.
- In some cases, the broker allegedly transfers withdrawals in two installments. This is more of a mild nuisance rather than a serious problem.
- Some traders allege problems with withdrawals. According to some of these complaints, the broker has refused to transfer any money at all.
- The broker sometimes arbitrarily reduces trader leverage from high leverage such as 1:500 to the 1:20 range. In such cases, the trader cannot fund the position.
- Some complaints have alleged price manipulation, even though Tickmill is an NDD broker.
Tickmill maintains several physical offices worldwide, from the Seychelles to the UK. It has more than 150 employees.
The company representing the UK side of the operation is Tickmill UK Limited. It is registered in England and Wales, under company number 09592225. The address of the broker’s UK headquarters is 3rd Floor, 27 – 32 Old Jewry, London, England, EC2R 8DQ.
The Seychelles address of the broker is 3, F28-F29 Eden Plaza, Eden Island, Mahe, Seychelles.
On the regulatory front, the brokerage has the approval of three regulatory bodies: the UK’s FCA, CySEC, and the FSA of Seychelles.
The FCA license number of the broker is 717270. Tickmill’s CySEC license number is 278/15, and its FSA license bears the number SD-008.
Its multitude of licenses gives Tickmill the right to legally peddle its services in most countries worldwide. Its CySEC and FCA licenses likely mean it is MiFID-compliant as well.
Why would the rank-and-file trader find Tickmill an attractive online trading destination?
- Tickmill offers some of the best trading conditions in the business. On some of its 80+ tradable assets, spreads start from 0.0 pips.
- The broker takes great pride in the speed of execution it offers. It takes around 0.2 seconds to execute trades on average, without re-quotes.
- Traders can use a variety of EAs, as well as hedging and scalping. Everything goes at Tickmill.
- The broker offers negative balance protection and it keeps traders’ deposited funds in segregated bank accounts.
- A dedicated support team provides services in multiple languages.
Platform and Tools
|Desktop Platform (Windows)|
|Desktop Platform (Mac)|
|Social Trading / Copy Trading|
|MetaTrader 4 (MT4)|
|MetaTrader 5 (MT5)|
|Charting - Drawing Tools(Total)|
|Charting - Indicators / Studies (Total)|
|Order Type - Trailing Stop|
Some reviewers have derided Tickmill for featuring a single trading platform: MT4.
MT4 is, however, the best and most complete trading platform in existence. It covers all possible needs, and in Tickmill’s case, it offers superb EA support.
The broker has made the platform available in two versions.
A web-based, no-download version.
The full, downloadable version.
Both platforms require the same username/password combination for access. The main advantage of the WebTrader is that it offers quick access, and it is not device-dependent.
Although simpler and more streamlined than the full version, the WebTrader supports the same charting capabilities. It is MT4 through-and-through.
The full MT4 platform features superb compatibility as well. In addition to Windows platforms, it also works well on macOS, Android, and iOS-powered devices. This is the same version you get when you grab Tickmill’s mobile trading app.
MT4 offers a fully customizable trading environment. It supports MQL, the programming language you can use to code your own EAs and technical indicators. You do not have to be an expert to use a wide range of such trading tools. You can also pick them up from third parties and install them on your MT4.
- The broker has synchronized the two platforms both ways. What this means is that if you launch a trade on one, you will see it reflected on the other. This synchronization is instantaneous.
- The mentioned synchronization also translates to your trading history. You can now visualize all of your past trades through both platform versions.
- The WebTrader supports real-time quotes through Market Watch.
- The price charts it features are fully customizable.
- The WebTrader supports a total of nine time frames.
- In regards to technical analysis, the capabilities of the browser-based platform are impressive. It features more than 30 technical indicators.
- The compatibility of the WebTrader platform is superb. It works with all modern browsers.
- The platform securely encrypts all data transmission to and from the server.
Be default, the Tickmill MT4 platform offers more than 50 technical indicators.
- MT4 offers CFDs on a wide range of tradable assets, such as FX pairs, indices, bonds, commodities, and stocks.
- Tickmill’s liquidity pool is outstanding. Thus, you can execute your orders without any partial fills.
- EA support would not be complete without a VPS setup to match it.
- Through MT4’s advanced notification system, Tickmill delivers actionable trading signals.
In addition to what the two trading platform versions jointly deliver, Tickmill also offers its traders an impressive selection of trading tools.
- Preinstalled with the MT4 terminal, Tickmill offers a one-click trading EA. With the help of this expert advisor, you can perform intricate trading maneuvers, with the click of a mouse. Such operations include the placing of Stop Losses and Take Profits, closing positions, and creating new ones.
- AutoChartist is an advanced technical analysis tool, creating trader alerts, and working perfectly with MT4.
- The broker also offers a handful of Forex calculators, such as a currency converter, a margin calculator, and a pip calculator.
- The economic calendar is live on the official Tickmill website. It offers traders the opportunity to perform fundamental analysis and to trade the news.
- Tickmill’s VPS service offers low latencies, uptime guarantee, and quick setup.
The broker supports four main categories of tradable assets.
- Precious Metals.
- Stock indices and oil.
The FX selection of the broker currently covers more than 60 pairs. It also offers 14 stock indices, with excellent trading conditions and all trading strategies allowed.
The precious metals section is host to gold and silver crosses. Tickmill also features German bonds.
Commissions and Fees
As mentioned, Tickmill does not charge any fees on deposits and withdrawals. The spreads on currency pairs, and some of the other assets, start from 0 pips. These are the minimum spreads, however. Typical spreads are in the 0.1-1.5 pip range for most FX pairs. On stocks indices, typical spreads range from 1 pip to 17.74 pips.
The broker also features swaps. These, you can view in the Market Watch panel of your MT4 terminal.
Research and Education
Tickmill features a full education section. What this means in our interpretation is that gives its users access to:
- Video tutorials.
- Market insights.
- Technical and fundamental analysis.
- A glossary of terms.
The broker has made its webinars available in several languages, such as Spanish, English, Portuguese, Russian, Italian, and German. The YouTube channel of the broker acts as a sort of webinar archive.
The video tutorials are like the webinars, with the difference that they deal with various subjects on a more basic level.
The analysis articles are very much up to date, meaning that the Education section is alive and not just a static collection of outdated information.
|Daily Market Commentary|
|Trading Central (Recognia)|
|Social Sentiment - Currency Pairs|
|Client Webinars (Archived)|
|Videos - Beginner Trading Videos|
|Calendar Includes Forexcasts|
|Economic News Sentiment|
|Trade Ideas - Backtesting|
Users can contact the Tickmill support staff through the live chat feature on the website. The broker offers country-specific support through an email form in its Contact section.
Tickmill’s support email is firstname.lastname@example.org. The support phone number is +44 203 608 6100. Support is available five days a week, from 7:00 to 16:00 GMT.
|Charting - Draw Trend Lines|
|Charting - Can Turn Horizontally|
|Charting - Technical Studies/Indicators|
|Watchlist - Syncing|
|Trading - Forex|
|Trading - CFDs|
|Alerts - Basic Fields|
The mobile solution Tickmill offers is an iOS or Android version of its MT4 platform. Some may deem this approach simplistic, but it is a perfect solution as far as we are concerned. MT4 mobile features great charting and superb functionality, much like its desktop-based version.
Tickmill is a serious, no-nonsense operation. It is regulated. It offers great trading conditions and a decent selection of tradable assets. Its minimum deposit is USD/GBP/EUR 100 on most of its account types. It currently supports three account options: the Pro, the Classic, and the VIP. The Classic account does not charge commissions but it works with wider spreads. The Pro account features a commission of 2 per side per 100,000 traded. The VIP account charges 1 per side per 100,000 traded.